Thursday 20 September 2012

Coffee Art



First Successful Leaf - 20 Sept, 2012


Last sunday, I attended a "Professional Barista Course"and clinched a title as a certified barista by the Coffee School in Melbourne, woohoo! Well, yea, actually not that professional unless i'm given more practice opportunities. Basically, we were taught the use of the expresso machine, frothing our own milk (so much fun!) and making the most basic and common types of coffee served in any ordinary cafes. After lunch, my most anticipated coffee art session kicked start! The instructor looked so-cool as she etched and free poured the creamy frothed milk to form a piece of art on the crema. Looks simple but i swear it isn't. My first etching attempt, i felt wasn't that bad.. haha, but i was more keen to master free pour instead, which i failed terribly.

 
My First Etching Attempt!
Then being very determined, i looked up another coffee art school just to learn basic free pour as i wasn't given much chance and time in a rather big group previously to learn the detailed techniques just by visuals. So, there i went, for my very first basic free pour class, lugging 4 litres of full-cream milk, feeling very stoked as i entered the school. The asian instructor was pretty good i gotta admit. He helped me out alot but i still couldn't get my constant pouring speed. It was so so so so tough! :( Was quite demoralized as others could get it quite instantly and i couldn't get even after 2 hours of practice. Though i found out the girls had experience on free pour previously, it didn't make me feel any better (yeah slap me, expectation, expectations... i cast on myself). But yeah, i'm still very motivated and determined to master this skill! Hellyaaaaaa. Not gonna give up! My pours are pretty awful, but just for record, at least i achieved... something, on a happy note! Hehehe on all smiles when i got these:


Feather Free Pour
Failed Rosetta Attempt
I wonder how long it takes usually for people to pick up the free pouring skill. I would love to be a Barista on training now! hehehe, gives me the chance to practice for free :D Aight, shall start studying for Tax Law.

Till then :D

No comments:

Post a Comment